Thursday, July 31, 2008

Example

Yesterday Ethan had a 15 month doctors appointment and I was excited because I thought he wouldn't have to have any more shots until 18 months. I hate watching them give him shots, so if that was the case I was going to bring Eric to stay there with him. But I assumed he wouldn't need any more till the next appointment, so I told Eric to stay home. I was wrong. Not only did he have 2 of his normal shots (which they warned me would swell more than previous shots, and he may have a very swollen leg for a few days) but I forgot we were going to have him tested for a few allergies which meant he had to have blood drawn. He's had blood drawn several other times for tests and I always wish Eric was there to hold him still instead of me, but once again I was there for it. It was over quickly and they gave him a sticker afterwards to calm him down, but he was still crying a little when I went back to the room to get him dressed so we could leave. He didn't want to be set down, but once I got him on the doctors exam table to redress him, he just looked up at me, still sniffling, and folded his arms. So we said a little prayer together and he was fine after that. Such a sweet guy and a great example to me! We've been teaching him to fold his arms for prayers the last little while, but thats the first time he did it without us telling him to. Apparently he knew what would make him feel better, and I'm grateful for his example.

9 comments:

The Curtis Family said...

Stop it! You're making me cry here. I love that little guy. You guys are so lucky to have him.

Amy said...

Hey Jessica! I'm glad to see things are going well for you guys! Although I agree, it's horrible when your kids need to get shots! What a wonderful example Ethan is! I wish we lived closer so we could still hang out with you! Check out our blog www.jaefamily.blogspot.com so that we can be blogging buddies! -Amy

Aurie Jenkins said...

Thats so precious! I love it when they started learning how to pray and fold their arms. I think we learn so much more from them then we could ever teach them. I think its just precious watching little ones fold their arms and be reverent.

K. Bitton said...

What a neat experience! We have to get grace's blood drawn for the first time on tuesday...jeff is coming with me cause I can't handle it either! What a special spirit Ethan is!!

Kristen Moss said...

THat is so sweet. I love ethan!

Munchkins and Music said...

I hate shot days too! Especially the 1st year ones. Those are bad!
Andrea

Derick and Becky said...

Ashley had to get an iv a couple months ago and it was so sad! Luckily they don't remember these things!

Em and Bart said...

What a cute little guy! I HATE drawing kids blood! It makes me so sad, they look at you like you are the cruelest person in the world! If I would have been there I totally would have held him for you. By the way what did you think of the fourth book!?

Lindsay said...

Awwwwwww....